Check out my recipe for making roasted artichokes using your Ninja Foodi Grill!
I absolutely LOVE artichokes! I'll eat them pretty much any way that I can find them! But, my favorite way is to boil, steam, or roast them and dip them in butter. I'm not sure if it's the artichoke or the butter that I like better. But, I just can't get enough artichokes!
I found that cutting the fresh artichokes into quarters made it much easier to share the artichoke with others and it's easier to eat this way. Not only that but the lemon and garlic flavors get absorbed into the artichoke much more than if it were cooked whole.
Tips for making Ninja Foodi Grill Roasted Artichokes
Fresh artichokes are not cooked and are the entire artichoke. Canned, or jarred artichokes are usually just the artichoke heart and have usually been cooked. Also, canned or jarred artichokes are usually in a brine of some sort.
No. Fresh artichokes should be used, not canned or jarred.
Start by peeling the outside layers off first, one by one. Dip the end that was attached to the stem into melted butter. Scrape the bottom of the leaf on your teeth and eat the soft fleshy part. Continue this process with each leaf until you get to the very thin and almost translucent leaves. Once you get this far into the artichoke, it means you are almost to the heart (which is the best part!!). Remove all remaining leaves and choke, (prickly fur that is in the center of the artichoke). DO NOT eat the prickly, furry leaves! Once most of the leaves and the choke have been removed, use a spoon to gently scrape off the remaining bits that are attached to the heart. The heart is the round, flat, meaty center of the artichoke. Once all leaves and choke have been removed, dip the heart into melted butter and eat. You can eat the entire heart, and even some of the stem if you'd like.
I almost always just dip the artichoke leaves into melted butter. I use salted butter as it adds more flavor. You can add lemon, garlic, and any fresh herbs that you would like. You can even dip the artichoke in mayonnaise or top with toasted breadcrumbs.
Artichokes are sold at the grocery store in the fresh produce section. Artichokes are in season from March to June and in September and October. When artichokes are in season, they will be much larger, and fresher at the store. When shopping for an artichoke, I have found that the best ones are very large, have rounded leaves instead of very pointy leaves, are round in shape, and have a thicker stem with a large base (where the heart is). The greener the better. I try to avoid the artichokes that are already starting to get a little dry and brown.
Ingredient substitutions and tips for making Ninja Foodi Grill Roasted Artichokes
Directions for making Ninja Foodi Grill Roasted Artichokes
Pin recipe for later!
Ninja Foodi Grill Roasted ArtichokesRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Turn the Ninja Foodi Grill on.
- Choose the ROAST function. Set to 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Small artichokes will cook in 30 minutes, larger artichokes will take longer to cook.
- Push the START button. The Ninja Foodi Grill will start to preheat.
- While the Ninja Foodi Grill is preheating, prepare the artichokes.Rinse the artichokes and cut the stems off of them. Cut all of the stems off except about ¾ of an inch off. Trim the leaves by cutting the top inch off of the artichoke. Cut the artichoke in ½ or ¼ based on the size of the artichoke.Cut a 12-18 inch long piece of foil. Line up the ½ or ¼ artichokes in a row in the middle of the foil. Drizzle with olive oil, top with minced garlic and lemon slices. Wrap the sides of the foil over the artichokes. Then, wrap the top and bottom so that the artichokes are completely covered in foil. If needed, wrap in a second piece of foil to make sure they are completely sealed. Place the artichokes wrapped in foil into the crisping basket.
- About halfway through the full cook time, open the lid and flip the foil packet of artichokes. Close the lid and continue cooking.
- When the cooking time is complete, open the lid remove the foil packet of artichokes. Carefully open the packet and place the artichokes onto a plate.
- Serve with melted butter and enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.